Tooth filling materials Dental amalgams & alternative materials
9. What further information is needed on environmental risks of dental amalgams?
The information currently available is not sufficient to fully
assess the environmental risks and indirect health effects from
the use of dental amalgam
in the EU. To allow this type of assessment, the following
information is required:
- More information on how
mercury is used and
released in all EU countries, particularly on differences in
wastewater treatment or on measures taken to prevent
emissions or to remove mercury from the environment.
- An updated compilation of all the available data on
the effects of mercury and
humans and other species in the environment.
- An assessment of the amount of mercury released from
crematoria across different parts of the EU and how much of
this mercury settles on the soil.
- A review of the available information on how
accumulates in living
organisms under the different conditions found across the
- A detailed calculation of the proportion of the total
mercury in the environment that originates from